Monday, July 24, 2023

Getting sick of jumping ship

 It’s nearly 10pm. I, like I’m sure many other creatives, have spent most of today scrambling to set up alternative social media accounts in the wake of twitter’s impending (and inane) rebranding.

And once more I find myself drawn back to this platform. I’ve started various blogs numerous times over the years, maybe this is the final push I really needed to get the ball rolling.

Does anyone still use it? Only one way to find out.

It’s frustrating having to constantly jump between platforms, increasingly so lately with every site out there ready and willing to shoot itself in the foot and alienate its user base. Especially Twitter, where so many creators built communities and found work.

A lot of my own work comes through Twitter, and a lot of us are panicking over suddenly not having a single, central platform for things like finding and sharing work. Sure, there’s tons of sites popping up all over the place, but with some being inaccessible in certain regions (like Threads) and some having huge waitlists for access (like Bluesky) people are scattering in the wind to whatever platforms they can sign up for. Mastodon seems to be popular, but I personally find it a little confusing so haven’t really put much effort into it. Even so, I did set up an account for my comic. I wonder if I’ll ever get the same sort of reach there as I do on Twitter.

Tumblr seems to be the last remaining vestige of when social media wasn’t so outwardly controlled by corporations, but it’s having its own issues now.

I’ve thought about setting up a blog for these kinds of rambling nothings on Tumblr, I still might. It seems somehow redundant or unnecessary. Although I do have more than enough side blogs already that I could convert into this sort-of-newsletter (I’ve not had much success setting up a sub stack feed, but I think that may be, in part, due to the seeming lack of customizability).

Ah, I might make this a Tumblr thing too, I do use the site daily and can keep this stuff separate from everything else. I might just make a blog to mirror this one.

Either way, I’m getting really sick of feeling like I need to be ready to jump ship because one platform is being set to implode because of one person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Rush of Summer ☀️🌻

It’s late afternoon in late July. It’s hot, but not unbearably so like it was last week when my partner and I discovered the cats had turned...